Monday, May 25, 2009

Home Made Hot Batik !


I find this is a very simple alternative to the more traditional Javanese wax technique batik, which is way more involved and takes a lot more time, a luxury we sometimes don't have!
It also works good for little designs in your fabric, writing, patterns etc...

I came up with the idea as I was trying to find an easy way to mask copper for some engravings I am making, but I could not get the precise detail that I needed for that. However, for batik, you really want some free flowing forms, an this is what you get, check it out!

Materials:

-Fabric
-Hot-melt glue gun
-Embroidery Loop or pins
-Fabric paint spray or acrylic


How to make a HoT Batik:


First stretch your cloth (I used raw muslin) or pin it to a board.

Heat your hot-melt gun.

Doodle away!

Cool uh?

Once you are done, let it cool a few minutes and then apply your color/s. I used a spray can just for this demonstration.

If you have an airbrush you could really achieve some great effects (I'll do one soon).

Done painting

(Optional) Put your masterpiece in the freezer for a couple of minutes. This will make it easier to remove the glue.

Peel off

The moment of truth...

Yeah!

Now...what shall I do with this?


That's it! The whole thing took just maybe 10-15 minutes. Hope you like it.
Let me know if you use it and send me some pics. I will publish them here.

6 comments:

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Very cool. I have done this technique with young children in our studio classes: we use dough inside a pastry bag. I have done it on T-shirts and tablecloths by using fabric paint (I soak the fabric)- it is so much fun, easy and beautiful!

Marbella Designs said...

great idea, i'll have to try that!

Donnalda Does Art said...

thanks for the demo. what a great idea. I really want to try this.

lolo said...

Thank you so much for your visits! :-)

Abby Samelak said...

This is an awesome idea! I was looking for an easy (and quick) alternative to traditional batik to do with children and this will work perfectly! Thanks!

Divya N said...

Great idea - I was looking to do a demo for my students without having to mix chemical dyes- this is perfect