Monday, May 4, 2009

Scribble, scrabble...


Our trusty White Glue, also know as PVA/PVAc (Polyvinyl Acetate) is probably the most widely used adhesive among craftspeople, not to mention children, costume designers etc.

Although Elmer's glue it is probably one of the safest (some kids say they even like the taste of the thing!!!), it must be noted that some white glues are not suitable for children, since they can contain some small amounts of free vinyl acetate. (you can usually smell it).

Other than that, I love white glue because it has so many uses in so many crafts and costume and prop design as well. If you use it for costumes or some things that must remain very flexible, you are better off using brands such as Phlexglu, or Flex Glue. An added advantage of these glues is that they can withstand quite a few launderings or dry cleanings, which Elmer's glue or other cheaper brands will not. The con is the prize and the fact they don't come in small quantities.



Tip: I am not good at drawing with a mouse, so I use a graphic tablet instead.. But when you need to "draw" complex figures with white glue you have the same problem, the bottle is not the best tool for the job. So I came up with the idea of using a syringe! That way I can scribble, doodle and otherwise create funny shapes which will then receive a dose of color powder, glitter, yarn or whatever.

If you have some helpful tips you want to share let me know, let's spread the fun:-)

3 comments:

katy said...

the syringe is a great idea! neat!

Flight Fancy said...

What a good idea! I'm a tacky glue gal myself :)

lolo said...

Needless to say (:-)you have to thin the glue according to the needle size. I just go to my local Pharmacy and ask for different gauges (I don't know if that is the right term!), they look at me funny and just hand me an assorted pack. I have to explain that it is for crafts and to refill ink cartridges, but their expression says it all, LOL!