Monday, October 19, 2009

Dia de los muertos...

I love this skeleton! We bought it in Mexico City some years ago.

El Dia de los Muertos is coming soon and I'm ready for this :-)

I'm making new stuff about this celebration. Let me tell you that I don't celebrate this day so much because where I come from we don't do this. The only thing that we usually do is go to the Cementery to visit our relatives. A little bit boring! :-(

My husband has told me a lot about this special day en Mexico. He loved it! and I think he is still missing it. He is Mexican but if you see him you can't imagine he is a Latino guy. I called him " My Gringo ", hahaha...

It is amazing to hear him talk about his childhood in Mexico and specially about "El Dia de los Muertos". He told me that they usually decorate the little towns with calaveras (skulls) and everything revolves around this subject. Kids buy or get their sugar "calaveras" with their name in sugary relief (and eat them, of course!). Later they will have Pan de Muerto (sweet bread of the dead!) with atole and tamales. Hmmm, I'm getting hungry already, a Mexican friend just offered to send me one Pan de Muerto, so I can try it, yummy!

One of the most important celebrations of this date happens in Michoacan, when people cross the Patzcuaro Lake at night, riding beautiful candle-lit boats called mariposas (butterflies) that will carry them to the Island of Janitzio to celebrate with flowers, music, food and much drinking, a custom that goes back perhaps 2500-3000 years! There is so much more to tell you but I will save it for an upcoming post on just this date.

I hope to go there once in my life to celebrate this fantastic day but to realize my dream I think I need to sell a lot of my art on Etsy to have the money to take me there.

So my dear friends let me show you some cool " Dia de los Muertos" stuff. Have fun and don't get scared like my daughter! :-))

Some cute wristlets, iPhone cases, pincushions...

Pirates Skull in Black Red...

Pink Love Skull...

Snuggle Skull...

Red hair in flame sugar skull iPhone case:-)

Tree buttons sugar skull iPhone case!

Red Rose sugar skull iPhone case!

Love sugar skull pincushion!

Work in progress...
iPhone case!

Another work in progress...
Wristlet!

I hope to finish them before Friday!

So now it's time to go back to work... cut, sew, embroider and ... :-)))

5 comments:

Marbella Jewelry Designs said...

I love all the Dia de los Muertos theme items, so cool!

Hollyrocks said...

There is not an ounce of Mexican heritage in my blood (at least that I know of), but I am completely fascinated by the Day of the Dead. I've been creating sugar skull pendants for a while because I'm just so inspired by all the bright colors and fun imagery. Your work is looking rather festive, and I think you'll sell all you need to raise enough money to visit Mexico.

I also think it's sweet that your daughter is scared by the skulls. How adorable!

jen said...

I love dia de los muertos! It's so colorful and fun!

Your skull with the red hair is awesome!

Yayahandicraft said...

Dia de los Muertos, lolos.
Espero que te guste el pan de muerto.
It's delicious with hot chocolate, yumi. I'm hungry too. I don't if is going to be good when I send it to you.
Me encanta tu post. Because in Mexico is very important this date.

lolo said...

Thank you so much my dear friends for your visits and comments about my new work! I'm still working making more and more. You will see them maybe next week!

Yaya I'm waiting to get this bread. My husband is crazy about it! :-))

Hugs to all*

Lolo :-)