Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Be natural with canvas!

Natural canvas!

I don't remember when I bought this canvas fabric but I think it was quite a while ago :-) It was hiding inside my pile of fabric. When I rescued it from the hiding place I decided to make some new pouches. Something different without a lot of color.

I wanted to design some simple, stylish, unique purses. So I kept the original color ( natural ) and I added some extra little pieces of recycled cotton fabric or something else. They are quilted inside! The size is perfect to hold all your necessities. All of them are different from each other! They have lots of textures and feelings.

It was a wonderful process working on this unique collection! I love what I do!

But Stop right there!

I have to warn you that my post is long with a lot of pictures about my pouches. I hope you enjoy them! Have fun!

The pouches!

I added to the front part of some pouches, some little pieces of cotton fabric that I wrinkled by hand very carefully holding them in place using my free motion style stitch.

For this pouch I used three different blue colors.
When I saw the result I got the image of the sea. The pleats seem waves!

The purples!

For this pouch I used only two purple colors. A batik and corduroy fabric.
The texture is really nice. It has a light purple zipper as a closure.

The gray!

For this one I used one single fabric. It is a soft cotton fabric ( English tartan style ). Beautifully elegant!

The patchwork!

I made a little patchwork using different kind of black fabric that I sew to the canvas. I machine embroidered the rest part of the canvas using black thread.

The Japanese!

I sew to the canvas a piece of red wine polyester pleated fabric.
I also decorated the white part of the pouch using my sew machine and black thread.

The process!

The flying heart!

Another little cute patchwork! I decorated the heart with some buttons, beads and some embroidery floss.
It's a heart balloon looking for love!

The romantic flower!

I cut some circles from different fabric to make the applique.
I added a yellow button and I machine embroidered the leaves and the stem into the canvas using green and brown thread.

That was the process!

That was my experience using canvas for the moment. I still have a lot of yards of them that they need to be used in something else. I'm still thinking what else can I do with them. Suggestions are welcome! Maybe big bags for the beach, I don't know! Help me, please!

10 comments:

ecokaren said...

Boy you are either a very fast seamstress or a very busy busy beaver. So many great loooking clutches. How do you sew them so fast? Love your work!

lolo said...

I'm really fast,hahaha! I work at night! And when I got the inspiration I can't stop it! Thank you so much Karen for your visit and lovely words!

Lolo :-))

jen said...

These are really beautiful Lolo! I think the blue one is my fave. I also really like the romantic flower.
I think you should definitely make some bigger bags like this!

:)

AlyGatr said...

Wow, it's so cool how a splash of such a basic, neutral canvas can really be the thing that makes the other fabrics pop. You have such an amazing eye for combining fabrics. The heart pouch is my favorite!

Abi said...

I love your clutches, especially the heart one!
I had to award 12 people a blog award and I picked you as one. If you go to my blog you can accept your award.
Abi x

la Bestia said...

Indeed, Beautiful and basic clutches!
Now we are waiting for the big ones Lolo!!!!

lolo said...

Thank you so much my friends for your visits and great comments about my new collection.

Jen---- Good idea about to make bigger bags with similar style.For summer time maybe. I have to start thinking about it.

Thanks again!
Lolo :-))

jody mcdowell said...

i like what you've done with the canvas so far! i like all the variety in your style and colors!

Cate said...

Really great job!--love reading about how other artists work with recycled materials and looking at works in progress. I think some larger summer bags work work well, too.

Auntie Entity said...

Wow, I really love the color combinations with the natural fabrics and the sewing/stitching technique involved. Definitely inspired by those color and fabric choices.