Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Father's Day Blues With The Etsy Latino Team

Papá Checkbook cover!

I'm so happy!!

The article that I wrote with my dear friend BululuStudio about Father's Day was published today on Etsy " Storque Blog". Hooray!

I wanted to write something different about this special day. Check it out! It's a funny story!

-------------------------------
The mere mention of Father's Day gives me the cramps!. Any other "day", Mother's, Teacher's, Secretaries or Valentines have very well defined shopping targets. Well, that is what all these days are all about right? I know, I know, you are supposed to recognize and celebrate the great deeds or fumbles of all the creatures that procreate, regulate, control and coerce you. And how do you do that? very easy. Mother likes to be taken to The Steak House at the end of a day that must include, breakfast in bed, no yoga, a trip to the spa with nails, hair and soothing massage. Done, easy.

Nice teachers get scented candles for some reason. I guess unconsciously we imagine them in a sort of altar where we worship them and ask for their favors (usually A's). Nasty teachers get scented candles as well. We hope somehow they catch fire and return to Hell where they come from.
Secretaries, we all know, get chocolates, usually the big box so we can also eat our favorites.The important thing in all these cases as we know, is that we do it first thing in the morning before the "other", otherwise we lose points.

Valentine's day is a cinch. First of all a card, always a card, the funnier the better. The good thing about this one is that there are so many options including forgetting it, which will bring catastrophic results including psychological torture among others. Otherwise get a mylar balloon, some flowers and a little Tchochke if you remember their particular obsessions; is it frogs or dinosaurs? elephants or bumblebees? make sure you check beforehand. If you are like me, you are sure to have many of these plastic souvenirs that you collect in fairs, conventions and such. The important thing is the significance of the gesture, or so we are told. So far it has always worked.

But Father's Day? I shudder... The memory of socks and ties, even underpants or suspenders that my mom gave my dad as presents, forcing his otherwise gentle smile into a grimace as he had to fake the emotion of being remembered as a sock wearer has always managed to give me a bowel movement.

My circle of girlfriends see no problem in buying their father yet another barbecue themed apron, a Gator beer holder or a pair of purple sleepers. Not me, not ever. I agonize for at least a couple of weeks before this dreaded date, lose my concentration and gain weight as I wander aimlessly across the mall, knowing quite well that there is no chance I will find something that he would be interested in.

But wait, what about Etsy? that's it! where else can you find something unique that really surprises him? something unexpected? I feel better now, my anxiety is gone...Happy Father's Day!!!
---------------------------

I invite you to visit the Storque and to take a look at the whole article. Don't forget to leave some comments as well! See you there!


2 comments:

AlyGatr said...

I love your checkbook cover. Simple, understated...very Dad worthy! Father's Day...ARGH! I have a hard enough finding stuff my hubby wants for his birthday or Christmas...Father's Day is SO hard. I definitely don't so the socks and tie thing! What am I going to do...I don't know!!!

Gabriela said...

Congratulations!
You deserves it and more.