Friday, June 4, 2010

Pachamama!

"Pachamama"

She needs protection, she needs love... she needs you!

This recycled material art-doll was inspirited by what I found inside my trash-can and inside my house. It represents Our Mother Earth (Pachamama in the Quechua language of the Andes) beautiful and fragile, carrying between her arms the hope of a new life. She also carries with her all the trash that we, as humans have so carelessly made our trademark.

My trash-can!

Wow... It took me a month to try to publish this post about my art doll. I was really busy trying to solve a lot of ideas and personal stuff as well. So today I just decided to take some free time to seat in front of my computer and write down this story and take care of my blog that I love so much.

Let me start from the beginning. In December 2009 I sent this doll to a well known art and craft magazine. I entered a Challenge called "Mother Earth ". One day before Christmas night I got the news that my doll was selected to be published together with a few other artists work to represent " Mother Earth ". It was the best Christmas present ever!

I was so happy when I read my email that you have no idea. I started shouting and running like a crazy cat in my house. But hours before I read the email I was completely depressed. Suffering and questioning my whole life.

Cloth Paper Scissors magazine!
Me!


I was in heaven! And I'm still in heaven because I will be published again with another art doll. But I let you know later about it. Stay tuned!

So now it's time to show you my process and how I made the doll and what I used to make it!. But first I have to warn you because my post it's going to be long with a lot of pictures. I love to share every step about my creations. Maybe you can get inspired! Let me know!

Ready for the journey? Here we go!

All the materials that I used to create this doll are recycled.

Drawing the face in a little piece of muslin fabric using some color pencil and ink.


Sewing the face using some black embroidery thread.


Adding some polyester stuffing to the face.


She's ready to get some nice hair!


She got some yarn, fabric, thread and burlap as hair.


For the body she got a wine cork, black hair pins for the legs and copper wire for the arms.


Making the dress!


Sewing the dress!


Writing some words using my vintage typewriter!


Sewing the words to the dress!


Using some vintage ink to stain the little pieces of paper.


Making the shoes and sewing them to the hair pins.
Aren't they cute?


Painting the trash-bag using some acrylic colors.


Trash-bag full with our waste.


Making the base and adding some white artist gesso.


Base painted with acrylic paint!


Drawing the Baby!


Sewing the Baby!


Wrapping the Baby!


Pachamama and the baby!


Another view!


"Pachamama"
Handmade by Lolo Sinclair 2010

Reusing your leftovers has unlimited potential. I'm making more little things for myself, my family and for selling as well. This is my small contribution to protect our lovely Pachamama for the next generation.

I hope you enjoyed my journey!

5 comments:

anadiazarte said...

Congrats! Lolo, your art is awesome!, this doll is a great symbol and reminder of what we are doing to this planet, we have to care about the environment and the future. Thanks for sharing!

una said...

Te felicito LOLO! Me encanta la muñeca y lo que representa. Esto prueba las cosas lindas que se pueden hacer usando basura o sobras. Gracias x compartirlo :)

lolo said...

Thank you so much girls for your lovely comments about my art doll.

Lolo :-))

jdavissquared said...

lolo! i love her! what a great job, and I for one, love your step-by-step explanation!

Enid said...

Me encanta lo que hicistes!!! Muchas felicitaciones por la publicacion, y es que realmente te la merecias.